On Not Flying to Hawaii

I could be the waitress
in the airport restaurant
full of tired cigarette smoke and unseeing tourists.
I could turn into the never-noticed landscape
hanging identically in all the booths
or the customer behind the Chronicle
who has been giving advice
about stock portfolios for forty years. I could be his mortal weariness,
his discarded sports section, his smoldering ashtray.

I could be the 70-year-old woman who has never seen Hawaii,
touching her red lipstick and sprayed hair.
I could enter the linen dress
that poofs around her body like a bridesmaid,
or become her gay son
sitting opposite her, stirring another sugar
into his coffee for lack of something true to say.
I could be the reincarnated soul of the composer
of the Muzak that plays relentlessly overhead,
or the factory worker who wove this fake Oriental carpet,
or the hushed shoes of the busboy.

But I don't want to be the life of anything in this pitstop.
I want to go to Hawaii, the wet, hot
impossible place in my heart that knows just what it desires.
I want money, I want candy.
I want sweet ukelele music and birds who drop from the sky.
I want to be the volcano who lavishes
her boiling rock soup love on everyone,
and I want to be the lover
of volcanos, who loves best what burns her as it flows.

Alison Luterman

29.12.09

Yeah me!!!!

So it's only 11am and I have already accomplished something for the day! (considering I slept in until 9am, this is a big deal) I am not technologically advanced, yet I am very jealous of other people's beautiful blogs. I've been searching all day for ways to make my blog, "prettier." The simplest thing I could find were the blog buttons. And I just made one. Go me. Not very exciting for those of you that understand code and all that, but a big step for me. We'll see where this can lead!

On another note, I have finally determined that having a six month old lab puppy is what I imagine would be like having a three year old, on steroids, hopped up on sugar, that thinks he can fly. Coen is literally jumping his way around my house this morning from piece of furniture to piece of furniture (and he is only allowed on a small covered section of the couch).



 A little while ago I heard a ruckus in my living room. Coen was doing his talking (yipping barks) and my ten year old cat was growling and yowling. This is pretty normal in my house, but it got continuously louder. I walked in the room to find Coen lying on top of a huge quilt that I had recently washed for my mom, with the cat buried somewhere inside. I mean, what can be more fun for a lab pup than jumping on a kitty in a quilt?
Well, now that I have accomplished my button, it is off to organize my shed. It has become extremely unorganized and I can not ever find anything that I need. At this point, I'm not really sure what's out there. I am just praying to God that I do not find any small animals. As much of an animal lover as I am, I just hope they aren't living in my shed underneath boxes. Who comes up with these tasks?  I guess I always need something to accomplish.

3 comments:

Merily said...

this is SUCH a cute photo!

E said...

I love your "about me." I did the same dang thing :)

SnOOp said...

Your dog is so cute... Sounds like pets rule in your house. They do in mine too. Although I don't want them to know that :)